To W(B)ed a Bong

The Bedding Diaries of a clueless, soon-to-be Bride

Monday, August 29, 2005

The pre-nup discussion

Blame this on Shoefiend and JAP. They were the ones who started talking about books and spouses.

Moi: So it was about the book that you would substitute for the spouse. And I am thinking the complete Wilde. I will be happy with Earnest anytime.

Bill: Hmm...that actually brings up something that we need to talk about.

Moi: Like what?

Bill: Well, if we ever decide to go our separate ways, which books do we get?

Moi: What do you mean?

Bill: I mean we need to split our books right?

Moi: Oh that. Thats easy. You take yours, I take mine.

Bill: Yeah but you see by then, it would all be ours. Not mine or yours.

Moi: Not really. The books in this apartment, the ones you see on those shelves, all 452 of them are mine. The books that I see when I am at your place in Pitt, all 43 of them, are yours. EOD.

Bill: I am not sure I agree. Because by then we would be married et al, so it's all ours. Thats the whole point of marriage.

Moi: The whole point of marriage is stealing my books? Do we also get to split all your books back home in Bombay?

Bill: Well, only if we also split yours back in Kerala. And its not about stealing; its about splitting all our worldly possessions fairly.

Moi: But how is it fair? I bring in more "wordly" possessions than you do into the marriage in the first place.

Bill: How do you expect the marriage to work if you keep saying your stuff and my stuff? Its all ours darling.

Moi: Yeah? I don't think so. We need to get a pre-nup going on this.

Bill: Nonsense. We need nothing of the sort. And anyways we will keep buying books after we get married right? So what do we do with them?

Moi: When we buy it, we can decide who gets it and write it down somewhere.

Bill: Let me understand this - when we buy a book, you want to write down who gets the book in case of a divorce?

Moi: Hey, isn't that what this discussion is about anyway?

Bill: I don't believe this is happening. Whats got into you?

Trust me, you don't want to know more. But I will surely let you know when we sign the agreement.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pallavi said...

I have only one thing to say... what is yours is mine .. what is mine is mine... buhahahah 1!! LOL

1:42 AM  
Blogger J. Alfred Prufrock said...

Yeah right, blame it all on a harmless old man!

Me, I'd just take ALL the books. then return the ones I don't like.

J.A.P.

4:24 AM  
Blogger Prerona said...

dropped in from Ash's blog - Nice Blog you have here :)

go for the pre-nup and sneak in a clause abt him providing you with all his books as well ;@) its not personal - its books!

8:02 AM  
Blogger Falstaff said...

While you're about it - you may want to put in clauses for CDs (and LPs if you have them) as well - I'm still waiting to get the second act of Mozart's Abduction from the Seraglio back from an ex-girlfriend. And that's after we 'agreed' that she would keep the Elgar Cello concertos and Paganini Violin pieces that I'd bought but lent to her.

Meanwhile, I wonder if it's legal to marry a library?

12:39 PM  
Blogger The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

in the words of ivana trump ' Don't get even get everything'... also i refuse to take blame for other ppls marital squabbles! i can barely handle my own!

7:03 AM  
Blogger Twilight Fairy said...

nice blog you have here! All the best for your marriage!

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home