To W(B)ed a Bong

The Bedding Diaries of a clueless, soon-to-be Bride

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Meet the Parents

Bill spent the weekend with moi and parents. The salient points of the visit are:

1. After every meal, Bill and Amma dear diligently fought over who gets to wash the dishes. Amma wasn't about to let her future son-in-law wash dishes but Bill wasn't giving in either. He seemed to have gotten this new obsession for washing every dish in my apartment(very unlike his usual self, needless to say). Both Appa and moi peacefully retired to the living room as soon as we finished eating and shut out the din from the kitchen.

2. At every possible opportunity, Appa was asking Bill about his future career plans. Bill replied with characteristic nonchalance giving away no new information. Appa dear had no choice but to be content with a perpetual grad student for his son-in-law.

3. Amma explained to Bill about all the jewelry she would be buying for him(Yes, you heard it right. Its for Bill. Apparently she has to buy some ring and chain and bracelet and what not!) and Bill threatened to walk out of mandap. Amma dear got all emotional and flustered and it took some time for things to be back to normal.

4. In a move that completely astonished moi, Appa dear suggested that Bill and I sleep in my bedroom. His reasoning was very simple - "It isn't like you both sleep 50 feet apart when we aren't here"! No self-respecting Indian parent is going to talk to my Dad anymore. Go Appa!

5. Another dear friend of moi from Austin was also visiting us this weekend and he was definitely a huge catalyst in "SIL-MIL-FIL" interactions!

4 Comments:

Blogger Gypsynan said...

Are you sure you are Tamil? Really? Absolutely? Sure?

5:47 PM  
Blogger Veena said...

Why? I can't be Tam? Technically, I can pass off as Mallu since I grew up in Malluland. But I am as Tam as they come!

7:16 PM  
Blogger tris said...

Why?Do you think Tams are not as cool as this generally ;-0?

5:16 PM  
Blogger P said...

Hi Veena! Came across your blogs while reading about fun at Bong weddings (one going on right now back home and I am kind of missing all the fun). Anyways, your situation felt closer to heart because I am a Bong girl and my boyfriend is Mallu and even though no wedding is on our agenda yet but some of the parent talks sound too familiar :) I am very much worried about what's in store for me. After reading your story, I am even more sure that I should stick to my registry marriage or even better Las Vegas marriage plan :D

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home