To W(B)ed a Bong

The Bedding Diaries of a clueless, soon-to-be Bride

Monday, July 18, 2005

Goopy, Bagha and the Bong family

Do you know the lyrics of 'O Mantrimasai' or 'Bhuter raja dil baar'? Can you sing it now? If the answer is No(which it will be for the vast majority of us ordinary mortals), I am sorry to say that you have had a deprived childhood. Or so says Bill. Apparently all Bong kids grow up with Goopy and Bagha regardless of where they grow up. And they all dream of getting their contributions published in 'Sandesh'. So if you happen to be one of those losers who happens to have a Bong friend, let alone a boyfriend or spouse, you will have no choice but to watch the movie.

No, no its not enough that you happen to like Ray and you have watched Charulata and the Apu trilogy. Its not enough that you read Tagore and can appreciate Rabindra sangeet. Its really not enough that you can speak Marxism with the union leader uncle in the family. To be a part of a proper Bong family, you should be able to quote dialogues from Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne.

I am very much honored to report today that I have now been officialy welcomed into Bill's family. This was as a result of me being a proud owner of a Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne VCD. No points for guessing how it came into my possession.

PS: I must say here that I actually ended up enjoying the movie. For all I know, my new Bong family might be passing this way. O Mantrimasai....

6 Comments:

Blogger The Black Mamba said...

Coming from someone who is so proud of the fact that she grew up on ambulimama (or similar) between "mouthfuls of sambar and rice", this is totally unwarranted criticism - of innocent bong kids.

No, its not enough if you have read Ponniyin Selvan, you must also watch Manichitrathazu and Bharatham.. :)

11:27 AM  
Blogger The Black Mamba said...

Sorry, I meant Balarama and Poompatta, not Ambulimama.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Smita said...

Bhooter Raja dillo Teen bor...which translates into the "king of ghosts gave three boons." oddly bor also stands for husband. ha

3:59 AM  
Blogger Achtlandia said...

go bill! he's right!

4:35 AM  
Blogger Saurabh Banerjee said...

I am over 30yrs. I still love those gems. Yesterday I got all the mp3 songs.

8:07 PM  
Blogger সজল পাল said...

For Free Bangla Mp3 Download Please Go To:

http://www.esnips.com/user/sajalpaul

Just esnips er free account khulun ar unlimited bangla gaan download karun

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home