To W(B)ed a Bong

The Bedding Diaries of a clueless, soon-to-be Bride

Monday, November 28, 2005

You are buying me what?

Mrs S: So its this tradition we have. We bring plates full of cosmetics, jewelry and saris et al.

Me: We have something similar, I think. Though I don't think cosmetics is included.

Mrs S: That's why we have to go shopping today.

Me: Really? But you already got saris and jewelry and stuff.

Mrs S: What about slippers? And handbag? And I have to buy you salwars too.

Me: You bring slippers and handbags too on plates?

Mrs S: Ofcourse.

So we went to one of those ubiquitous malls in Bombay which Mrs and Mr S seem to adore and shopped till we dropped dead. Yes, it was right after we got off those two eight-hour flights. We got slippers, handbags and we were looking for salwars when Mrs S strategically stopped in front of what looked like a lingerie store.

Mrs S: And oh, I forgot. I need to get you some night clothes too.

Me: You have to get me what?

Mrs S: Come, come we will get you a nice slip or something.

Me: Excuse me?

Mrs S: Yeah, its part of the tradition. Get whatever you want.

Me: No aunty. I am not getting anything. You are not buying me lingerie. It has no utility value - you are just going to waste more money.

Mrs S: Really?

Me: Yes, I am. We can get other things, I am sure.

Mrs S: Are you sure? (Mrs S gives Mr S one very sorry look.)

Mr S: Yes, yes, just get her what she wants na?

Mrs S: Okay then.

Later,

Me: Do you think your mom thinks I am all evil now?

Bill: No yaar. She is fine.

Me: Are you sure?

Bill: When did you start worrying about what my mom thinks?

Me: Arrey..she looked so sad na?

Bill: Its okay. Chill. I will tell her that I got you enough lingerie, so its okay.

Me: That's supposed to make her feel better right?

Bill: Well, she asked for it, didn't she?

Me: That, she most definitely did.

4 Comments:

Blogger Falstaff said...

Tch, tch! such self-righteousness. Think you should just tell her that the reason you don't want any lingerie is that you don't believe in wearing clothes in bed. They just get in the way.

Even better, get him to tell her that.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Veena said...

Falstaff - I am thinking of ways to stop the wedding. If I did that, she would get me married off to her son right that moment!

MR - Yeah, you wait and see. I will be so nice and so decent that I will move to the suburbs and buy a SUV.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Falstaff said...

Ah, well, in that case, you should have said "Oh, sure, Aunty, what a lovely gesture". Then gone and asked the shop clerk if they had:

a) Handcuffs
b) Whips
c) Anything in leather.

4:50 AM  
Blogger First Rain said...

Sensational concept for a blog! Will be back for more :D

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home